Sunday, February 6, 2011

I was crafty ... I swear ...

Mmmm ... where does the time go? I ask myself that every day.
It's been a while since I've shown anything crafty on this blog, but I swear I have done a few things here and there. I really have.

I made a few pompoms for Alex's birthday. I know this project has been around the net, but I still can't believe that I did it and it came out beautifully.



I followed these instructions here.

For Christmas my kids and I made snowflakes. Okay, it's way past Christmas and I really should be showing Valentine's crafts ... but I just have to put this up, so in 10 years I have proof that time didn't just pass me by and I did nothing.



A couple of years ago my daughter and I made them out of regular paper. I learned that for a 3 year old cutting through folds of paper required great strength. My daughter has pretty strong hands and arms and completed a few, but I felt bad for her nevertheless. So this year we used tissue paper and we had much more fun. Initially I drew the designs and my kids followed my pencil lines.  After a few, my daughter created her own designs - which made me very proud.

Uhmm, what else did I make? Oh yes, I went to my daughter Kindergarten class and we made angels out of clothing clips (I think they are called something else, but I can't think of it right now.)



The first is my daughter's. The second shows mine next to my daughter's. Aren't they just cute?! I cut the wool and sewed the dress and the kids glued everything together using Aleene's super tacky glue. The only thing I had to help the kids with is glue the wings with a hot glue gun.

My daughter's kindergarten class is an all girls class. It was so interesting to see that almost all of the girls made the angels and played with them like boys play with their superhero figures. A sight I treasure and will never forget.

In the works right now ... okay there's a lot in the works. One of them is a knitted sail. Can you believe it? I can't. While on a roadtrip to Mendecino, we stopped in Petaluma and visited a yarn shop. I wish I remembered the name of it. But at the time, we were just walking around, looking ... just looking. I was soaking in the beauty of a $37 yarn. In the middle of the shop was a huge sail made out of all the knitting samples (I'm assuming) the shop has gathered throughout the years. My 4 year old was in awe. I agreed with him. We walked out and that was that.

Except ever since then my son has been asking me "Are you knitting my sail?" whenever I knit, crochet, sew or just visit a yarn shop. Recently I gave in and told him, yes honey! I'm making you one. It's going to be a looong process. I have just made a few samples so far ....


I have a couple more in the car. It's my "wait for gymnastics/Wushu/'name other kids' activity' to be over" project.

Oh, but more excitingly, I'm taking a painting e-course. I have come to love e-courses! This time it's with Mati McDonough and Lisa Congdon. The course is called Get Your Paint On

It's the first week and uhm, I'm feeling frustrated. I have painted and repainted the same piece of paper over and over. I can't believe how strong acrylic paper is! I start out by liking my painting, but as I go on with it I start hating it or make a mistake. So I redo it. And on it goes. Well, I have decided to see this is an opportunity to experiment, right? A way to see what I like and don't like; what works and what doesn't work.




I actually love my first painting, but it probably shows that there have been 10 other painting underneath it. Oh well, one day I'll paint it on canvas ... I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment