Thursday, March 17, 2011

St Patrick's day with the kids

A week ago, I received an email from school looking for a parent to volunteer to make a St Patrick's art/craft with the Kindergartners. Usually I'm quick to volunteer for such things. This time though I thought: A week? Gosh what can we make?

I ignored it.

Then a few days later, the email came again. No one had volunteered for craft time and within a second of reading it I found myself volunteering for it. All the fun St Patrick's day crafts I found online required toilet paper rolls or kitchen towel rolls ... things I just had no time collecting within 3 days. So I went straight to Michaels. Not much was left, except for shamrock doilies and green ribbons. My 4-year old thought that the shamrocks were very "St Patrick's day"-ish and that I had to get them. I did - mainly out of desperation. I wasn't sure what to do with them.

I went to another Michaels, a couple of Targets, our closest pharmacy and supermarket. All I could find was a few shamrock stickers. So I bought flower and frog stickers to add to the collection .. hoping that the girls (my daughter is in an all girls class) wouldn't mind frogs.

After sleeping over it I decided that we would use the doilies as stencils. So I went to a store to buy food coloring, went to school and we made this.


I'm happy to report the teacher was delighted and the girls had fun.
Perhaps it's time to think about Easter crafts?

No comments:

Post a Comment