Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The neck dress.

Have you seen this book: Little Girls, Big Style: Sew a Boutique Wardrobe from 4 Easy Patterns, by Mary Abreu?


I purchased it several months ago, but never got around to sewing anything. I think it was nerves. I haven't really sewed anything more complicated than a pillow cover for years ... actually a couple of decades ... it's been a while since I graduated from highschool. *eek*

Last time I sewed a clothing piece was in home ec. I sewed a uniform shirt. I know, very exciting ...

Anyhow, this book is for girls 2-6 years old. So I felt the pressure to make at least one thing out of the book, before Jasmine turns 7. I let Jasmine pick out what she wanted and it was no surprise that she want the halter dress. She calls it the neck dress. She LOVES neck dresses!


It took me quite many nights to sew this one. Sewing clothes isn't really my thing, I guess. But I've always wanted to sew dresses for my daughter. So here it is.

I sewed a size 6. Size 6 store bought dresses usually fit Jasmine just right. But this one turned out one size too big around the waist. That coupled with the fact that I lengthened one of the tiers from 5.5" to 12", makes it prefect to wear next summer :-)


Back to the book. My daughter and I love it. The photos are beautiful and the directions are clear. This particular dress pattern is also very forgiving. I wasn't too precise while cutting all the rectangles for the tiers. Somehow it ended up slightly wavy, but it all came together well anyway.

Jasmine has a list of things that she wants me to sew. I think next up will be a skirt though. Something that is faster to whip up :-)

Oh and last, but not least, Jasmine styled herself: the hair, the necklace ... enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. AWW! Wow to cute :) Please stop by to see my giveaway! There are 11 different prizes and for every entry I will donate 50 cents to the winners chosen charity! I am your newest follower :)

    hugs! Hannah from www.hannahhandmade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete